Students should note that ragging is banned by a ruling of the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India. The college makes adequate arrangements to ensure that no incident of ragging takes place. Faculty members are appointed on duty in various buildings and floors, canteens, outside the main gate of the college, etc. to ensure the same.
Students must not indulge in any such activity that can even be remotely associated with or termed as ragging by any fresher.
According to the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India ragging includes “disorderly behavior or treatment with fellow student whether by words, spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating and handling with rudeness any other student, indulging in rowdy or indecent activities, which may cause or is likely to cause physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in a fresher or a junior student”.
Some of the punishments for students directly or indirectly involved in ragging and its abetment are as follows –
- Cancellation of admission.
- Suspension from attending classes.
- Suspension / expulsion from the hostel.
- Expulsion from the institute.
- Fine up to Rs. 2,50,000/-
- Lodging of FIR / police action against an offender.
- Rigorous imprisonment up to 3 years (under the Court of Law).